Photographs

Banner photo at the top of the page shows the ruins of Ballyboy Castle

Photo below - another view of the Ballyboy Castle ruins.

Photos in the main column show Shanrahan Church, to the west of Clogheen, alongside the river Duag.

Also shown is a view of Clogheen from the Knockmealdown mountains.

 

Photo of Ballyboy Castle ruins, Ballyboy House, Clogheen


 

History

Ballyboy House

Ballyboy House dates back to the late 1600's and has been in the family for five generations. It has been completely renovated and elegantly furnished with period furniture and open log fires. It is a spacious house with a wonderful family feel to it. This classically proportioned house has provided a restful retreat for guests since 1981.

Guests have the use of a large drawing room and a billiards room, with many guests considering it a home from home—a haven of peace and tranquillity.

The Local Area

The area around Ballyboy House is steeped in history, as is the whole of South Tipperary. Clogheen dates from the late medieval period and for many years was strategically important because of its position at the foot of the Vee pass that connects county Tipperary to county Waterford.  It was also important commercially because it was situated on two rivers—The Tar (fed mainly from the Galty mountains) and the Duag (fed mainly from the Knockmealdowns). In the eighteenth century Clogheen became a busy market and milling town.

The R665 road through Clogheen was once the main Dublin to Cork road but each time the road was re-built it moved further north. Its latest incarnation, the M8 Motorway, now runs along the foot of the Galty mountains. Perhaps the next set of re-builds will bring the road back in a southerly direction.

Initially controlled by the Everard Family, who owned Burncourt and Ballyboy castles, Clogheen was developed further by the O'Callaghan Family in the late 18th century and early 19th century.  Cornelius O'Callaghan was given the title of Lord Lismore in the early 1800's and built Shanbally Castle. This was designed by the famous regency architect John Nash, who also designed buildings in Cahir (see the Swiss Cottage information on the 'Activities' page). Shanbally Castle was the largest house in Ireland designed by Nash. Unfortunately the house was destroyed in 1960 by the government of the time. An act which many believe was little more than officially sanctioned vandalism.

The Shanrahan church and graveyard (photo below), just to the west of Clogheen, contains the grave of the catholic priest Father Nicholas Sheehy. The priest was executed in 1776 on false charges of murder and treason because of his involvement in protests against the eviction of tenants by local landlords. The unfair trial and execution of Fr Sheehy in Clonmel is an important event in the history of the village.

Photo of Shanrahan church, Clogheen, Cahir, Tipperary, Ireland

 

Photo of Clogheen from the Knckmealdown Mountains

Clogheen sits astride the 8° west meridian (the 8° west line of longitude) which is just to the left of the church on the left of the above photograph. Drive or walk past the church to watch your GPS go from -7.99999 to -8.00000.

The next village west along the R665 is Ballyporeen, the ancestral home of the late Ronald Reagan—Hollywood actor and US President. As President Reagan he visited Ballyporeen in 1984, gave a speech to the residents and was entertained with traditional Irish music and dance.

The above are just a few examples of historical moments in the immediate area of the house. There are many more to investigate both here and a little further afield.